- 3 lbs. Chicken, diced
- 1 tbl. Ginger, minced
- 1 tbl. Garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup Scallions, white part (green part for garnish)
- 2 cups Water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup Peanuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup Pepper Chile De Arbol
- For the Kung Pao Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Mirin
- 1⁄4 cup Soy sauce
- 1 tbl. Sesame oil
- 1 tsp. Distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tbl. Vietnamese Hot Garlic Sauce
- 1 tbl. Brown sugar
For the sauce:
1. In a small bowl combine mirin, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and corn starch. Mix well until cornstarch is completely dissolved and incorporated.
2. Mix in the Vietnamese hot garlic sauce and sugar until well incorporated. Set aside.
1. Using high heat, saute ginger and garlic for 10 seconds.
2. Add the chicken and sauté until the chicken turns opaque. About 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the white part of the scallions and saute for 1 minute.
4. Add the chestnuts, peanuts and the chile and saute until chilies are soft.
5. Add the sauce. Mix until all ingredients are well coated.
6. Simmer sauce until it thickens.
7. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped green scallions
Note: Best served with steamed white rice.