Looking for a yummy, protein-packed meal? Join Chef Don as he demonstrates how to make avocado toast topped with poached eggs and mustard cream sauce. With an easy-to-follow recipe and a delicious outcome, you may just find your new favorite dish! Here’s what you’ll need to know to get started.
Equipment & Utensils:
- Medium pot
- Ramekins (2)
- Slotted spoon
- Paring knife
- Small bowl
- 2 Large, Whole Eggs
- 1 Tbl. Vinegar
- ½ Avocado
- 2 pieces of French Bread
- ¼ cup Sour cream
- ¼ cup Milk
- 3 tsp. Spicy mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Poached Egg:
- Fill a medium pot with water to about 2” deep. Bring the water to 190F.
- Meanwhile, crack the egg into a ramekin. For efficiency, use 1 ramekin per egg.
- When your water reaches 190F, you are good to go. If you don’t have a thermometer, you will know that the water is ready when you see small bubbles forming at the bottom of the pan.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of vinegar in the water and stir. The vinegar will firm the outside of the egg and the circular movement of the water will help form its shape.
- Gently pour the egg as close to the water as possible. The egg should poach for about 4 minutes. Once the time is up, remove the egg from the water using a slotted spoon.
- Transfer the egg to a towel to drain excess water. At this point, you can remove the loose egg white around the yolk. Set aside.
For the Sauce:
1. Mix sour cream, milk, and mustard until smooth in a small bowl. Set aside.
For the Avocado Toast:
- Toast the bread directly on the stove burner for a quick sear.
- Thinly slice the avocado directly on the skin.
- Scoop out the avocado onto the cutting board, flat side down.
- Gently press to separate the slices.
- Layer the slices on the toasted bread and season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the poached egg to the avocado toast.
7. Top with the mustard cream sauce.